Around the Hutchison Ports network, 35 ports undertook a range of can and mobile phone collection and delivery activities. Other activities included reuse workshops as well as educational exercises.
Participating ports included Hutchison Ports Ajman, ACT, BACTSSA, BEST, Busan, COSCO-HIT, Dammam, ECT, ECV, EIT, FCP, FHC, GBAC, Gdynia, Gwangyang, HICT, HIT, ICAVE, JMCT, MITT, NBCT, Port of Felixstowe, PPC, Port Services & Logistics, RAK, SICT, Sohar, Tanzania, Thailand, TILH, TIMSA, TNG, UAQ, XICT, and Yantian.
Several of these ports adopted creative approaches. Some examples are featured below.
- Hutchison Ports BACTSSA encouraged mobile phone collection through distribution of potted plants.
- Hutchison Ports Dammam made a day-trip of the occasion, collecting aluminium cans from a popular local park and beach.
- Hutchison Ports ECV and EIT used the opportunity to screen environmentally focused documentaries.
- Hutchison Ports ECV, EIT, HICT, Sohar, XICT, Yantian and Port Services & Logistics encouraged employees to make crafts out of waste products.
- Hutchison Ports XICT donated the proceeds of the can collection to the local chapter of the Red Cross.
- Hutchison Ports HIT as well as ACT and COSCO-HIT extended the campaign to community services organisations such as South Kwai Chung Social Service and Yan Chai Hospital Fong Yock Yee Neighbourhood Elderly Centre. These terminals also set up educational game booths to enhance environmental awareness.
- Hutchison Ports Port of Felixstowe donated used employee mobile phones to a local charity, Plastic Free Felixstowe, for later resale in exchange for charitable donations.
- Hutchison Ports Tanzania brought collection activities to Mivinjeni Primary School to help educate students on the benefits of recycling.
- Hutchison Ports Ajman, RAK and UAQ encouraged local university students to make recycling-themed presentations to employees.
- Hutchison Ports Busan and Gwangyang donated proceeds from phones to Child Fund Korea, a support organisation for children with physical and mental disabilities.